Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The sky is green.

this makes me proud of my county.

The thing that's frustrated me the most as I've followed this story (as the article says, they've been trying to get a curriculum approved for quite a while now) is the way some conservatives have co-opted the liberal rhetoric of open-mindedness to advance their agenda.

What I mean is, groups like Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays (I think that's their name) argue that if you're going to have an open discussion on homosexuality, you've got to include the viewpoint that it is immoral and a sickness that can be cured. (never mind what the pesky psychiatrists who reclassified it in the 1970s have to say.) The same thing happens in evolution debates. The vast majority of biologists everywhere agree that evolution happened (and is still happening). But a couple scientists dispute that. And they get on the news and talk about their "findings" (never published in serious peer-reviewed journals, of course. but that's because the establishment is "trying to silence them.") and convince enough people who are predisposed to either take the bible literally or mistrust scientists that they may be on to something. They *create* the controversey and then argue that we need to teach it.

What both issues have in common is the sentiment, "hey, we've got a viewpoint! how can you claim to be so open minded and accepting if you discredit it! you're silencing us, you hypocritical liberals!" As if somehow, respecting opposing viewpoints necessarily means ascribing to complete moral and intellectual relativism. (and as if challenging the underlying logic or premises behind a position is the same as silencing those who hold that position.)

The thing is, I have a viewpoint too. I believe the sky is neon green. I can probably find you some scientist somewhere who agrees with me. I am prepared to send letters to the editor of every major newspaper arguing my position. I am prepared to go on TV and radio shows and explain why I'm right. I'll take out ads in all different media, build a legitimate-looking website, and found an institute supporting my beliefs. I'm SO SURE of myself that I'm actually resentful that the rest of the world still thinks the sky is blue. How can they possibly ignore all of my arguments? At the very least, Kindergarden teachers everywhere should teach the controversey!

No comments: