Thursday, March 8, 2007

two things

I was reading over my past blog entries, and I've discovered that many of my entries revolve around two themes: genitalia and grammar. in an effort to continue these themes, I offer the following:

1. This Article. It's about lice. Specifically, about how humans host 3 different species of lice, while most species host just one. There are head lice (similar to the lice that live on chimps), body lice (they live on clothing and are apparently related to head lice), and pubic lice (similar to the lice that live on gorillas). Apparently the existence of these 3 different species provides clues to the evolution of the human species. Scientists can figure out when humans lost their body hair and when they started wearing clothes. This is really cool. But that's not why I'm posting this article. No, the reason I'm posting this article is that despite the scientists' reluctance to talk about it, there's one particularly good explanation for why human pubic lice are similar to lice found on gorillas. It is: Humans had sex with gorillas. a lot.

2. I'm just going to post this verbatim:
Losing the war on bad grammar: "Irregardless." Someone used that word in a meeting this morning. I calmly spoke up, explaining that by using the word in the same sense as "regardless," and considering that "irrational" is the opposite of "rational," they in fact stated the exact opposite of what you really meant. Even then you still have to make the leap and assume that "irregardless" is legitimately a word. Everyone in the room applauded, hoisted me on their shoulders and carried me out the door to celebrate. Never again will I hear that word in the office!

HA! That's how things went in my little fantasy world. My usual reward for resistance is a blank stare. So I just sat there, mute, shuddering with discomfort usually reserved for scratching fingernails on a blackboard.

It's just not worth the effort anymore.

Marc Fisher: Oh, no, you had me going there. I was ready to stand up and cheer for you. Don't let yourself be cowed by ignoramuses (ignoramusii?)--do as your grammar teacher would want you to do and stand tall for the right word.

There are two incredibly awesome things about this post. The first is that "irregardless" has absolutely nothing do do with DC politics, the purported subject of the chat where I read it. I'm kind of in love with people who manage to get their completely random thoughts inserted into washington post chats about completely unrelated subjects. Especially since I've lately aspired to become one of those people. The second incredibly awesome thing about this post is Marc Fisher's response. ignoramusii? yeah, that's a word all right. you are the grammar king.

No comments: