Monday, January 14, 2008

magic words

My favorite music group does political satire. My favorite NPR show is a news quiz. I have a favorite NPR show. Suffice it to say, I am a news junkie.

Today, I'm tired of news.

Here's the story that did it.

The first I heard about this story was an NPR news reporter saying something like, "Obama's campaign rejects charges from the Clinton campaign that he misinterpreted her remarks on Martin Luther King Jr."
I kid you not.
She made a comment. He commented on the comment. She commented on his comment on the comment. He commented on her comment on his comment on the comment.
And all this made it onto the evening news.

So what were the words of the offending comment? From the Washington Post:

The primary source of the debate is a comment Monday from the New York Democrat: "Dr. King's dream began to be realized when President Johnson passed the Civil Rights Act," she said, adding that "it took a president to get it done."


This apparently underplays Dr. King's role in the civil rights movement. also, Johnson was white. so she kinda, sorta, if you squint your eyes and give yourself a lobotomy said that it takes a white person to advance the cause for black people. see, she's racist?!

What I can't get over is how utterly inconsequential and stupid this is. She said like 20 words. They weren't, at least in my estimation, even offensive words. Who the fuck cares?

No comments: