Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year

Happy 2008!

My resolutions can be divided into 3 categories:


Maintenance

Keep in touch with school friends. I saw about 12 of them this weekend, it was wonderful, and I am still coming down off that high. I've got to remain friends with these people because they're amazing.

Keep Swimming. I'm pretty freaking proud of consistently dragging myself to master's swimming 3 times a week for the past year. Excercise is good. Even when there's excessive chlorine involved.

Short Term

Sign up for a class. I'm missing intellectual stimulation, and I'm pretty sure my brain is atrophying. Ideally, some local school is offering an evening or weekend course in AI. If not, I'll settle for just about any lit/philosophy/history class I can get into. I miss thinking.

Commit to volunteering. Despite having my hat and coat stolen, one of the most fun things I've done in a while was volunteer through the JCC's day of service. I used to volunteer all the time in high school, but somehow I stopped in college and then never picked it up again. I miss it. Plus, it gets me out of the house. I don't know quite what to do, but there has to be some habitat for humanity or literacy tutor type thing I could sign up for.

Up the Exercise. Swimming 3 times a week is awesome. Taking advantage of my gym membership by using any facilities at all besides the pool would be more awesome. I'm gonna make it to the Y at least 1 other time each week.

Doctors' Appointments. I haven't seen a doctor since I graduated from college. That's bad. Also, I got authorization from my health insurance to see a therapist. Even if I'm not diagnosably depressed (though honestly, I almost certainly am), it's gotta be a good thing to see someone.

Long(er) Term

New Job. A while ago (maybe November of my Senior year), I confided in a friend that I was scared of taking some boring job for the money and then stagnating there for years because I was too lazy/complacent to find anything better. Well, guess what I did?

Move. See above about lazy, complacent stagnating. I'm living with my parents. I'm 23. This is a problem.

Apply to Grad School. I belong in school. I know this about myself. Everyone who knows me knows this about me. Why am I not there yet?



Happy 2008!

p.s. this post is brought to you by the following html tags: <dl>, <dt>, and <dd>

No comments: